Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Holes

Started Holes, got about half way through so far. It is a very fun novel to read because of the language Louis Sachar uses. I also enjoy it because I saw the movie a few times and it was always very amusing to me. What I really like is how Sachar really embodies his characters. It is very funny that Stanley's name is just his last named spelled backwards. I can't imagine that or else my name might be...Retieb. Stanley works for him though. I love the song that the Grandfather teaches Stanley, it goes as follows:
"If only, If only," the woodpecker sighs,
The bark on the tree was just a little bit softer."
While the Wolf waits below, hungry and lonely,
He cries to the moo-oo-oon,
"If only, if only."
This, I noticed is different from the one they state in the film. In the film version (which I have memorized) the second line is changed, in which it is says: "The bark on the tree was as soft as the skies," so it actually rhymes with the first line. I kind of like the film version better, just because it flows a little better. What I also find hysterical about this novel is all of the juvenile's nicknames. If I had to go to Camp Green Lake, I wonder what my nickname might be...

No comments:

Post a Comment